Wednesday 24 July 2013

Coping with weight gain when recovering from Anorexia.

The voice of anorexia will tell you that you will never be happy until you lose weight, that your worth is measured in how much you weigh. This is wrong. Happiness come from loving yourself for who you truly are - and that's only possible with recovery. It may seem like there's no escape from your eating disorder, but it's within your reach. With treatment, support, and these self-help strategies, you can overcome your eating disorder and gain true self-confidence.

Something I've found incredibly difficult is coping with the way my body changes during recovery. It's inevitable that recovery from Anorexia involves weight restoration. Having been underweight for nearly 9 years, dealing with an increase in weight has been extremely difficult. I thought I would share some tips on how to cope with weight gain. I feel that weight gain is just the first (and often easiest) part of recovering from Anorexia. The physical body can heal a lot quicker than the mind can. However, research has shown that you cannot effectively engage in psychological therapy when you're drastically underweight.

I've found that, acknowledging that weight gain comes as part of recovery, has helped me to prepare myself for the changes. I try and remind myself that in order to recover, I have to gain weight, even though I cannot see that I need to. When you're anorexic, you will never see reality; you will never, ever think you're thin enough, even when you're on deaths door. Maintaining a low BMI for quite a long time and then facing the prospect of weight gain is rather terrifying, although essential if I want to get better. I'm learning to not weigh myself so frequently and trying my very best to leave that to the professionals. If you are reading this, thinking there is no way you can gain weight, just remember that if you want to recover, you will have to face this at some point or another; either in a hospital environment or in a home environment. You cannot maintain a low BMI without it having serious consequences for your health. If you prepare yourself for the weight change to come, you won't suddenly be thrown into shock when it does happen.

If you are struggling to come to terms with weight gain, try and talk to a supportive friend, a family member or a professional about how you feel. A problem shared is a problem halved and these people will be objective, and will see you realistically, not from anorexic eyes.

I also find that making a list of things I like about my recovering body has helped me. Yes I have many days where I just want to hide under hoodies and cry at my reflection but I have to remember that weight gain is crucial to recovery. I also write down positives about associated weight gain; for example, I feel warmer, have a little bit more energy, and being less prone to illness.

I've also found a journal to be pretty useful. Recovery can be extremely difficult - especially when recovering from an eating disorder. Try and remember that these changes are not bad. They are a sign of success, and you have the power to overcome this. If your team weigh you, you can always ask to turn away from the scales. That way, the professional can get the statistic that need but you can remain non the wiser.

If you feel you are heading towards relapse, seek help immediately. Although relapsing happens to most while trying to recover, it is important that you try and stay on the right track as much as possible.

True recovery from anorexia and bulimia involves learning to:

◾Listen to your body.
◾Listen to your feelings.
◾Trust yourself.
◾Accept yourself.
◾Love yourself.
◾Enjoy life again.


Love Kerry x

3 comments:

  1. It's really a struggle to recover from anorexia. You have to develop self-confidence and self-esteem to help you win this battle. A strong support system, from family and friends and a professional help as well, can be vital for total recovery. Keep in mind that a person is defined not by his or her weight alone.

    -Natalia Campos @ PrimaryCareAK.com (Lake-Otis)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with recovering physically because I know once I'm closer to better health, then the hard work must begin in terms with confronting my depression and ways I manage my emotions. Every time I've recovered before, I felt the need to control myself physically again because I couldn't or wouldn't want to deal with life's stresses and expectations. So here I am again, at least knowing being underweight is better because I "deserve" or am in physical deprivation mode. I wish my brain could heal faster and I Wish to God I didn't have to gain to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best work you have done, this online website is really cool with great facts. buy apetamin in houston location

    ReplyDelete